Braised Short Ribs
- 3 tablespoons olive oil Add to list
- 1 tablespoon sea salt Add to list
- Freshly ground pepper Add to list
- 3 1/2 to 4 pounds beef short ribs (10 to 12 good-sized lean ribs) Add to list
- 3 ribs of celery, chopped Add to list
- 2 to 3 carrots, peeled and chopped Add to list
- 1 yellow onion, diced Add to list
- 1 medium bell pepper, seeded and chopped Add to list
- 1/2 pound mushrooms, sliced or chopped Add to list
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped Add to list
- About 1/2 cup good red wine Add to list
- 2 (28-ounce) cans diced tomatoes Add to list
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil Add to list
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh oregano Add to list
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley Add to list
Preheat oven to 325° F.
In a small bowl, stir together the olive oil, sea salt and several fresh grinds of black pepper. Rub each side of short ribs with the mixture.
Place a Dutch oven on top of the stove, over medium-high heat. Add the oiled ribs to the pan when it is hot enough to sizzle. Brown ribs on all sides, turning every few minutes with long tongs. When each side is brown, reduce the heat to medium low.
Place the vegetables in the pot followed by the wine and canned tomatoes. Finish with the freshly chopped herbs.
Cover the pot and transfer to the oven. Cook for 3 to 4 hours until the meat is fork tender and falling off the bone. Serve over fresh pasta or polenta.
Each serving: 380 cal, 20g fat, 95mg chol, 1080mg sodium, 13g carb, 2g fiber, 33g protein