Braised Kale with Chickpeas and Smoked Paprika
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided Add to list
- 3/4 cup chopped onion Add to list
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon smoked paprika Add to list
- Generous pinch red pepper flakes Add to list
- Salt and pepper, to taste Add to list
- 8 cups packed kale, center ribs and stems removed, leaves coarsely chopped (from about 1 1/2 pounds kale) Add to list
- 2 cups vegetable stock Add to list
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas, drained Add to list
Heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil in a large, heavy Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion and sauté until soft, about 5 minutes. Stir in 1/2 teaspoon paprika and red pepper flakes; sprinkle with salt. Add kale, stock and chickpeas. Cover and cook until kale is soft and chickpeas are heated through.
Remove lid, turn heat to medium-high and cook until the sauce thickens and clings to the kale and chickpeas. Season to taste with salt and pepper and more paprika, if desired.
Transfer to a serving bowl; drizzle with remaining 1 tablespoon oil and serve.
Recipe by, PCC Cooks instructor
Source: Demonstrated on the PCC Cooks stage at Vegfest 2011.
Learn more about our recipes. View guidelines »