Blueberry Hand Pies
Yield: about 8 hand pies
There is something very special about little pies! Tuck one of these perfect blueberry pies into your lunchbox or enjoy at a picnic in the backyard!
- 1 1/2 cups blueberries Add to list
- 3 tablespoons sugar Add to list
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch Add to list
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest Add to list
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice Add to list
- 3 tablespoons cream cheese, at room temperature Add to list
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup Add to list
- 1 prepared double pie crust Add to list
- 1 egg beaten with 1 tablespoon water, for egg wash Add to list
- Coarse sugar, for sprinkling Add to list
Preheat oven to 400° F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
In a small bowl, combine blueberries, sugar, cornstarch, lemon zest and juice; set aside. In a separate bowl, mix together cream cheese and maple syrup until smooth.
If necessary, roll out pie crust on a lightly floured surface until 1/8-inch-thick. Using a cookie cutter or bowl, cut out as many 5- to 6-inch rounds as you can. Re-roll dough scraps and cut out more rounds.
Place 1 teaspoon cream cheese in the center of each round. Top with a generous tablespoon of blueberry filling, making sure to leave a 1/2-inch boarder. Brush boarders with egg wash and fold dough over to enclose the filling. Press tightly shut with your fingers, then use a fork to crimp and seal the edges.
Transfer hand pies to the prepared baking sheet and brush tops with egg wash and sprinkle with coarse sugar. Using a sharp knife or scissors, cut a small vent in the top of each pie. Bake until crust is golden and filling is bubbling from the vent, about 20 minutes. Let cool for a few minutes before serving.
Each pie: 200 cal, 11g fat (3.5g sat), 30mg chol, 125mg sodium, 24g carb, 1g fiber, 3g protein
Recipe by, PCC Chef