Blue Cheese Bison Burgers
Try ground bison the next time you’re in the mood for a burger, and you'll enjoy fewer calories and less fat. This recipe delivers a nice bit of heat and plenty of flavor.
- 3/4 pound ground bison Add to list
- 3 tablespoons olive oil Add to list
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped Add to list
- 1 red onion, 1 tablespoon diced and the rest sliced for topping burgers Add to list
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika Add to list
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper Add to list
- Salt and pepper, to taste Add to list
- 1 tomato, sliced Add to list
- Lettuce, any variety Add to list
- 1 avocado Add to list
- 1/4 cup Gorgonzola cheese Add to list
- 2 hamburger buns Add to list
- Desired condiments (spicy mustard is excellent with bison) Add to list
In a small mixing bowl, combine bison meat, oil, garlic, diced red onions and seasonings; mix thoroughly. Form meat into 3/4-inch-thick patties and set aside.
Before grilling, prep all toppings such as sliced tomato, onion, lettuce and avocado.
Bison meat is best served medium to medium-rare — do not overcook! Grill patties over a low flame. Melt cheese on the patties during the last minute of grilling. Serve on hamburger buns with desired condiments.
Source: North American Bison Cooperative