Black-eyed Peas, Ham and Kale Salad
Serves: 4 to 6
The traditional Southern combo of black-eyed peas and ham makes a wonderful salad when added to fresh, crisp veggies.
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt Add to list
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice Add to list
- 1 clove garlic, minced Add to list
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin Add to list
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional) Add to list
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric Add to list
- Salt and pepper, to taste Add to list
- 2 (14-ounce) cans black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained (see note) Add to list
- 1 cup diced cooked ham Add to list
- 1/2 red onion, diced Add to list
- 1 bunch lacinato kale, stems removed and leaves thinly sliced Add to list
- 1 bunch radishes, scrubbed and thinly sliced Add to list
- 2 stalks celery, diced Add to list
In a small bowl, combine yogurt, lemon juice, garlic, cumin, red pepper flakes and turmeric. Mix well and season to taste with salt and pepper. Set aside.
In a large bowl, combine peas, ham, onions, kale leaves, radishes and celery. Drizzle with yogurt dressing and mix well. Let sit covered in the refrigerator, to allow flavors to meld, at least 30 minutes or overnight.
To prepare dried black-eyed peas, soak 2 cups peas in water for at least 4 hours. Drain and rinse. Place beans in a large soup pot and cover with ample water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer until just tender, about 1 hour. Drain.