Black Bean Vegetable Chili
Serves: 4 to 6
This hearty chili features black beans, spicy Jalapeños chiles and plenty of veggies. You can cut the heat by leaving out the Jalapeños. Served over rice with slice of cornbread, this chili makes a satisfying meal.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil Add to list
- 1 cup chopped onion Add to list
- 1 cup chopped green bell pepper Add to list
- 1/2 cup chopped red pepper Add to list
- 4 cloves garlic, minced Add to list
- 30 ounces canned black beans, drained and rinsed Add to list
- 28 ounces ground peeled tomatoes Add to list
- 2 fresh Jalapeños Add to list
- 1 tablespoon chili powder Add to list
- 2 teaspoons minced chipotle chile Add to list
- 1 1/2 teaspoons leaf oregano, crushed Add to list
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin Add to list
- 1/2 teaspoon salt Add to list
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper Add to list
- 1 cup whole-kernel corn (fresh, thawed-frozen or canned) Add to list
Heat oil in 4-quart saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, green bell pepper, red pepper and garlic and cook until tender. Stir in black beans, tomatoes, Jalapeños, chili powder, chipotle chili, oregano, cumin, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, cover and simmer 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in corn and cook another five minutes.
Serve with sour cream, shredded cheese and chopped fresh cilantro, if desired.
Source: Sound Consumer January 2004
Learn more about our recipes. View guidelines »