Black Bean Vegetable Chili
Serves: 4 to 6
This hearty chili features black beans, spicy jalapeños chiles and plenty of veggies. You can cut the heat by leaving out the jalapeños. Served over rice with a slice of cornbread, this chili makes a satisfying meal.
- 1 tablespoon high-heat oil Add to list
- 1 cup chopped onions Add to list
- 1 cup chopped green bell peppers Add to list
- 1/2 cup chopped red peppers Add to list
- 4 cloves garlic, minced Add to list
- 2 (14-ounce) cans black beans, drained and rinsed Add to list
- 1 (28-ounce) can ground peeled tomatoes Add to list
- 2 fresh jalapeño peppers Add to list
- 1 tablespoon chili powder Add to list
- 2 teaspoons minced chipotle chile Add to list
- 1 1/2 teaspoons crushed oregano leaf Add to list
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin Add to list
- 1/2 teaspoon salt Add to list
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper Add to list
- 1 cup whole-kernel corn (fresh, thawed-frozen or canned) Add to list
- Sour cream, shredded cheese or chopped fresh cilantro, for garnish (optional) Add to list
Heat oil in a 4-quart saucepan over medium heat. Add onions, green bell peppers, red peppers and garlic and cook until tender. Stir in black beans, tomatoes, jalapeños, chili powder, chipotle chili, oregano, cumin, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in corn and cook another 5 minutes.
Serve with sour cream, shredded cheese and chopped fresh cilantro, if desired.