Black Bean Corn Cakes
Serve as an appetizer or side dish, placing the patties on a small bed of gourmet lettuce. Also good served with mango chutney or salsa.
- 1 cup water Add to list
- 1/2 cup cornmeal or polenta Add to list
- 1 teaspoon dulse Add to list
- 1/4 cup grated Romano Add to list
- 2 cups cooked black beans, drained Add to list
- 1 or 2 jalapeños, stemmed, seeded and finely chopped* Add to list
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped* Add to list
- 2 tablespoon red onion, chopped* Add to list
- 3 tablespoons cilantro, chopped* (fresh is best) Add to list
- 1/4 cup cooked yellow corn kernels (frozen is fine) Add to list
- Olive oil Add to list
*If using a food processor, chopping is unnecessary.
In a small saucepan, heat the water over medium-high until boiling. Slowly stir in the cornmeal and dulse in a slow steady stream to avoid lumps. Add the cheese. Heat, stirring constantly, about 3 to 5 minutes, or until the cornmeal has cooked through and forms a solid mass away from the sides of the pan.
In a food processor or blender, add all the ingredients except corn and olive oil. Process until a roughly chopped paste is formed. Stir in corn kernels.
Place a sheet of waxed paper on your work surface. Spoon the bean mixture out into about 10 portions. Small patties are better; flatten then cook in a hot skillet in a very small amount of olive oil until crispy, about three minutes on each side. Serve warm.
Recipe by, former PCC staff
Learn more about our recipes. View guidelines »