Black Bean Corn Cakes
Serve as an appetizer or side dish, placing the patties on a small bed of gourmet lettuce. Also good served with mango chutney or salsa.
- 1 cup water Add to list
- 1/2 cup cornmeal or polenta Add to list
- 1 teaspoon dulse Add to list
- 1/4 cup grated Romano cheese Add to list
- 2 cups cooked black beans, drained Add to list
- 1 or 2 jalapeños - stemmed, seeded and finely chopped Add to list
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped Add to list
- 2 tablespoons chopped red onions Add to list
- 3 tablespoons chopped cilantro Add to list
- 1/4 cup cooked yellow corn kernels (frozen is fine) Add to list
- Olive oil Add to list
In a small saucepan, heat water over medium-high until boiling. Slowly stir in cornmeal and dulse in a slow steady stream to avoid lumps. Add cheese. Heat, stirring constantly, about 3 to 5 minutes, or until the cornmeal has cooked through and forms a solid mass away from the sides of the pan.
Combine beans, jalapeños, garlic, red onions and cilantro; finely chop by hand or in a food processor. Process until a roughly chopped paste is formed. Stir in cornmeal and corn kernels.
Place a sheet of waxed paper on your work surface. Spoon bean mixture out into about 10 portions. Small patties are better; flatten then cook in a hot skillet in a very small amount of olive oil until crispy, about 3 minutes on each side. Serve warm.
Recipe by, PCC staff member