Black Bean and Yam Quesadillas
- 1 to 2 yams, grated (3 cups, about 1 pound) Add to list
- 1 small to medium onion, diced Add to list
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or clarified butter Add to list
- 1 teaspoon cumin Add to list
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano Add to list
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon chili powder Add to list
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika Add to list
- 1/2 teaspoon unrefined salt Add to list
- 1/2 bunch kale or other dark leafy greens, finely chopped Add to list
- 1/2 cup sour cream Add to list
- 4 sprouted grain tortillas Add to list
- 16-ounce can black beans, drained Add to list
- 8 ounces cheddar cheese, grated Add to list
- 1/2 cup salsa Add to list
Preheat oven to 350° F.
In a skillet, sauté the yams and onion in the olive oil or clarified butter for about 5 minutes over medium heat. Add the spices and continue to sauté for another 5 minutes. Add the greens, cover and sauté for another 3 minutes. Remove from heat.
Spread sour cream on one side of tortilla and sprinkle 1/4 of the sautéed vegetables and beans. Top with cheese and fold tortilla in half. Repeat with remaining tortillas. Place tortillas on a baking tray lined with parchment paper. Spread salsa evenly on top of the tortillas and bake for about 20 minutes.
Recipe by, PCC Cooks instructor
Source: Demonstrated on the PCC Cooks stage at Vegfest 2012.
Learn more about our recipes. View guidelines »