Black Bean and Yam Quesadilla
Serves: 1 (2 quesadillas)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil, plus extra for spraying Add to list
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion Add to list
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped Add to list
- 1 teaspoon Mexican seasoning (available in bulk spices) Add to list
- 2 teaspoons water Add to list
- 1 cup grated yam (about 1/2 medium yam) Add to list
- 1/4 cup canned black beans, rinsed and drained Add to list
- Salt and pepper Add to list
- 2 corn or wheat tortillas Add to list
- 1/3 cup grated cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese Add to list
- Prepared salsa Add to list
Heat the oil in a medium, nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and sauté for 3 minutes or until onion is soft. Add the seasoning and water and cook 1 more minute, stirring. Add the yam and beans, stir. Cover and cook for about 6 minutes until the yam is tender but not mushy. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer mixture to a bowl.
Place tortilla in a skillet; spray with olive oil. Turn over and spray the other side. Add some of the mixture to half of the tortilla, top with some of the cheese and fold tortilla in half. Cook in a skillet on each side for about 2 minutes, until cheese melts and the filling is warm. Repeat with other tortilla. Serve with prepared salsa.
Recipe by, PCC Cooks instructor