Black Bean and Yam Quesadilla
Yield: 2 quesadillas
This unusual quesadilla is a mix of sweet and savory flavors.
- 1 teaspoon olive oil, plus extra for spraying Add to list
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onions Add to list
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped Add to list
- 1 teaspoon Mexican seasoning (available in bulk spices) Add to list
- 2 teaspoons water Add to list
- 1 cup grated yam (about 1/2 yam) Add to list
- 1/4 cup canned black beans, rinsed and drained Add to list
- Salt and pepper, to taste Add to list
- 2 corn or wheat tortillas Add to list
- 1/3 cup grated cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese Add to list
- Prepared salsa Add to list
Heat oil in a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onions and garlic and sauté for 3 minutes or until onions are soft. Add Mexican seasoning and water and cook 1 more minute, stirring. Stir in yams and beans. Cover and cook for about 6 minutes, until yams are tender but not mushy. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer mixture to a bowl.
Place 1 tortilla in the skillet; spray with olive oil. Turn over and spray the other side. Add some yam mixture to half of the tortilla, top with some cheese and fold tortilla in half. Cook in a skillet on each side for about 2 minutes, until cheese melts and filling is warm. Repeat with other tortilla. Serve with prepared salsa.
Each serving: 490 cal, 18g fat (9g sat), 35mg chol, 780mg sodium, 68g carb, 12g fiber, 11g sugars, 19g protein
Recipe by, former PCC Cooks instructor