Black Bean and Goat Cheese Quesadillas
The premise of the dish starts with melted cheese and spicy chiles tucked between two crisp tortillas, but we have sparked that up considerably.
- 1 cup cooked and drained black beans Add to list
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red onions Add to list
- 2 ripe tomatoes, seeded and chopped Add to list
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves, packed Add to list
- 1 to 2 fresh jalapeño chiles - seeded, de-ribbed and chopped Add to list
- 1 lime, juiced Add to list
- Salt and pepper, to taste Add to list
- 4 ounces chèvre cheese Add to list
- 4 ounces Monterey Jack or Mexican cheese such as cotija, grated Add to list
- Softened butter or high-heat oil Add to list
- 8 (10-inch) flour or whole wheat tortillas Add to list
- Sour cream and salsa, for topping Add to list
In a bowl combine black beans, red onions, tomatoes, cilantro, chiles and lime juice. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Combine chèvre and grated cheese together in a small bowl.
Preheat a 10-inch or larger skillet on medium heat. Spread softened butter or oil on one side of two tortillas. Place one tortilla, butter-side down, in the hot skillet. Spread 1/4 of the cheese mixture on top of tortilla and top with 1/4 of the black bean mixture. Place the other tortilla, butter side up, on top.
Cook until the bottom tortilla is golden brown; using a pancake turner, carefully flip the quesadilla over and cook until golden brown on the other side. Repeat process 3 more times with remaining tortillas and filling.
To serve, cut each quesadilla into 8 wedges and serve with a dollop of sour cream and salsa on the side.
Recipe by, PCC Chef