Black and Green Tapenade
Yield: approximately 2 1/4 pounds
This tapenade recipe from PCC's Deli kitchen is packed with flavors of the sunny Mediterranean and is best made in advance. It will hold extremely well under refrigeration for up to three weeks. Stir well before serving.
- 1 cup garlic cloves, whole, roasted Add to list
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin oil Add to list
- Sea salt, to taste Add to list
- 2 teaspoons coarse black pepper, or to taste Add to list
- 1 cup loose parsley, rinsed and chopped Add to list
- 1/2 cup loose fresh basil, rinsed and chopped Add to list
- 1 cup pitted green olives Add to list
- 1 cup pitted Kalamata olives Add to list
- 1/3 cup capers, nonpareil Add to list
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest, fresh Add to list
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice, fresh Add to list
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme Add to list
Place whole garlic cloves on baking sheet, coat lightly with olive oil, and season lightly with sea salt and black pepper. Roast in pre-heated 375┬░ F oven for approximately 20 minutes or until lightly browned and softened. Do not over-brown. Remove from the oven and cool completely.
Rinse and chop the parsley. Rinse the basil, remove the stems and chop coarsely. Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl and toss well.
In a food processor, combine 1/4 of the mixture and "pulse" until "chunky." The mixture ultimately should be spreadable, but rough chopped. Or, if you prefer, you can process until complete smooth. Repeat the process until the entire batch has been processed.
Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Source: Sound Consumer December 2002
Learn more about our recipes. View guidelines »