Bistro Chicken and White Wine Bisque
As the season ripens, take advantage of ever-changing local produce to create variations on this delicious bisque. Try adding watercress, arugula or even steamed sweet peas to the pesto. Or fold in any of your favorite summer vegetables such as summer squash, tomatoes, eggplant, corn or peppers.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil Add to list
- 1 cup thinly sliced shallots or leeks Add to list
- 1/2 cup white wine Add to list
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into small chunks (or use 2 cups cooked chicken meat) Add to list
- 3 cups chicken broth Add to list
- 1/4 cup roux (see note) Add to list
- Salt and pepper, to taste Add to list
- 1/2 cup milk or cream Add to list
- Spinach, Sage and Hazelnut Pesto Add to list
In a heavy soup pot, heat oil over medium heat and cook shallots until tender, 5 to 8 minutes. Add wine and cook until it is mostly reduced. Add chicken and chicken stock. Bring to a simmer and with a wire whisk, blend in roux until soup is slightly thickened and creamy.
Simmer soup for 10 to 12 minutes and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper. Stir in cream and 1/4 cup pesto and heat through.
Serve soup garnished with additional pesto.
For the roux: Cook together 2 tablespoons butter and 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour or gluten-free flour over medium heat for 3 to 4 minutes.
Recipe by, PCC Chef
Source: Demonstrated on KING 5's "New Day Northwest" show, which aired February 17, 2011.