Big, Easy Jambalaya
- 2 teaspoons canola oil Add to list
- 4 bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs Add to list
- 8 ounces andouille sausage, halved lengthwise and cut into 1/4-inch pieces Add to list
- 1 medium onion, diced Add to list
- 1 celery rib, diced Add to list
- 1 green and 1 yellow bell pepper — cored, seeded and diced Add to list
- 5 cloves garlic, minced Add to list
- 1 (16-ounce) package Alter Eco Ruby Red Rice Add to list
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme Add to list
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper Add to list
- 1 (14 1/2-ounce) can diced tomatoes Add to list
- 1 cup clam juice Add to list
- 4 cups chicken broth Add to list
- 2 large bay leaves Add to list
- 1 pound medium shrimp — peeled, deveined and coarsely chopped Add to list
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley Add to list
- 1/4 teaspoon hot sauce (optional) Add to list
Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken, skin-side down, and cook until golden brown, about 5 minutes. Turn and brown other side; transfer chicken to a plate. Reduce heat to medium and add sausage; cook, stirring frequently, until browned, about 3 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer sausage to a paper-towel-lined plate.
Reduce heat to medium-low and add onions, celery, peppers and garlic. Stir occasionally, until vegetables have softened. Add rice, thyme and cayenne. Cook, stirring frequently, until rice is coated in oil, about 1 minute. Add tomatoes with juice, clam juice, broth, bay leaves and sausage; stir to combine. Simmer for 20 minutes.
Place chicken, skin-side down, on the rice. Bring to a boil, cover and reduce heat to low. Simmer until chicken is just cooked, about 15 minutes; transfer chicken to a plate. Scatter shrimp over rice, cover and cook until rice is tender and shrimp are opaque, about 3 minutes.
While shrimp are cooking, shred chicken. Remove pot from heat, discard bay leaves and stir in chicken, parsley and hot sauce. Season to taste and serve immediately.
Each serving: 490 cal, 18g fat (5g sat), 200mg chol, 900mg sodium, 52g carb, 4g fiber, 31g protein
Learn more about our recipes. View guidelines »