Big, Easy Jambalaya
This one-pot New Oreleans favorite includes chicken, sausage and shrimp.
- 2 teaspoons canola oil Add to list
- 4 bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs Add to list
- 8 ounces andouille sausage, halved lengthwise and cut into 1/4-inch pieces Add to list
- 1 onion, diced Add to list
- 1 stalk celery, diced Add to list
- 1 green and 1 yellow bell pepper — cored, seeded and diced Add to list
- 5 cloves garlic, minced Add to list
- 1 (16-ounce) package red rice Add to list
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme Add to list
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper Add to list
- 1 (14-ounce) can diced tomatoes Add to list
- 1 cup clam juice Add to list
- 4 cups chicken broth Add to list
- 2 large bay leaves Add to list
- 1 pound medium shrimp - peeled, deveined and coarsely chopped Add to list
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley Add to list
- 1/4 teaspoon hot sauce (optional) Add to list
Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken, skin-side down, and cook until golden brown, about 5 minutes. Turn and brown other side; transfer chicken to a plate. Reduce heat to medium and add sausage; cook, stirring frequently, until browned, about 3 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer sausage to a paper-towel-lined plate.
Reduce heat to medium-low and add onions, celery, peppers and garlic. Stir occasionally, until vegetables have softened. Add rice, thyme and cayenne. Cook, stirring frequently, until rice is coated in oil, about 1 minute. Add tomatoes with juice, clam juice, broth, bay leaves and sausage; stir to combine. Simmer for 20 minutes.
Place chicken, skin-side down, on the rice. Bring to a boil, cover and reduce heat to low. Simmer until chicken is just cooked, about 15 minutes; transfer chicken to a plate. Scatter shrimp over rice, cover and cook until rice is tender and shrimp are opaque, about 3 minutes.
While shrimp are cooking, shred chicken. Remove pot from heat, discard bay leaves and stir in chicken, parsley and hot sauce. Season to taste and serve immediately.
This recipe was written by Alter Eco in 2014, to feature their Ruby Red Rice.
Each serving: 490 cal, 18g fat (5g sat), 200mg chol, 900mg sodium, 52g carb, 4g fiber, 31g protein