Better-than-Bisquick Quinoa Pancakes
The one-two protein punch of quinoa and cashews promises an energy boost and great flavor.
- 2 cups quinoa flour Add to list
- 2 tablespoons baking powder Add to list
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda Add to list
- 1/2 cup raw cashews Add to list
- 2 tablespoons neutral-flavored oil, such as sunflower Add to list
- 2 cups warm water Add to list
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract Add to list
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice Add to list
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup Add to list
In a mixing bowl, whisk together quinoa flour, baking powder and baking soda. In blender, grind cashews to a fine powder, pausing to scrape under the blades 2 to 3 times. Add oil, water, vanilla extract, lemon juice and maple syrupto the blender and blend 3 to 4 minutes. Pour liquid over dry ingredients and whisk a few times, eliminating lumps. If batter is too thick, add water as necessary.
Pour a scant 1/4 cup of batter onto hot non-stick griddle (heated until water dances on it) for each pancake. Serve with fruit sauce or applesauce.
Variations: Add 1 to 2 tablespoons flaxseeds into the blender with the cashews. For a heavier buckwheat sourdough pancake, replace up to 1 cup of quinoa flour with buckwheat flour.
Each serving: 400 cal, 17 g fat (2 g sat), 0 mg chol, 930 mg sodium, 52 g carb, 8 g fiber, 11 g protein
Recipe by, PCC Cooks instructor