Best of Summer Fruit Cake
This makes a nice summertime breakfast along with being delicious for picnics or weeknight dessert.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour Add to list
- 1 teaspoon baking powder Add to list
- Pinch of salt Add to list
- 1/3 cup finely chopped crystallized ginger Add to list
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature Add to list
- 2/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar Add to list
- 2 large eggs Add to list
- 2 tablespoons milk Add to list
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract Add to list
- Grated zest of 1 lemon Add to list
- 2 cups seasonal fruit (pitted and sliced, or whole depending on the fruit) (see note) Add to list
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon Add to list
Preheat oven to 350° F. Butter a 9-inch round cake pan and set aside.
In a bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt and crystallized ginger.
With a mixer, cream together butter and 2⁄3 cup sugar in a medium bowl. Add eggs, milk, vanilla and zest. Add dry ingredient mixture, and blend until incorporated.
Scrape batter into prepared pan and spread evenly. Arrange fruit (cut side up if using stone fruit), pressing slightly into the batter. In a small bowl, combine cinnamon and remaining 1 tablespoon of sugar. Sprinkle on top of cake.
Bake for about 50 minutes, until golden and a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean. Cool slightly and serve warm with frozen yogurt, ice cream or whipped cream.
*Seasonal fruit: Choose from plums, nectarines, peaches, berries or cherries; or a combination.
Source: PCC Natural Markets, June 30, 2010