Best of Summer Fruit Cake
- 1 cup all-purpose flour Add to list
- 1 teaspoon baking powder Add to list
- Pinch of salt Add to list
- 1/3 cup finely chopped crystallized ginger Add to list
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature Add to list
- 2/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar Add to list
- 2 large eggs Add to list
- 2 tablespoons milk Add to list
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract Add to list
- Grated zest of 1 organic lemon Add to list
- 2 cups seasonal fruit (pitted and sliced, or whole depending on the fruit)* Add to list
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon Add to list
Preheat oven to 350° F. Butter a 9-inch round cake pan and set aside.
In a bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, salt and crystallized ginger.
With a mixer, cream together the butter and 2⁄3 cup sugar in a medium bowl. Add the eggs, milk, vanilla and zest. Add the dry mixture, and mix until incorporated.
Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and spread evenly. Arrange the fruit (cut side up if using stone fruit), pressing the fruit slightly into the batter. In a small bowl, combine the cinnamon and the remaining 1 tablespoon of sugar. Sprinkle over the surface of the cake.
Bake for about 50 minutes, until golden and a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean. Cool slightly and serve warm with frozen yogurt, ice cream or whipped cream.
*Seasonal fruit: Choose from plums, nectarines, peaches, berries or cherries; or a combination.
Source: PCC Natural Markets, June 30, 2010