Besan Chila (Cumin-spiced Breakfast Crêpe)
Serves: 4 to 6
A savory instead of sweet crêpe made with garbanzo bean flour and spices.
- 1 cup garbanzo bean flour Add to list
- 1/2 cup water Add to list
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin Add to list
- 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste Add to list
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper Add to list
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric Add to list
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro Add to list
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onions (optional) Add to list
- 1/4 cup mixed vegetables such as peas, carrots, etc. (optional) Add to list
- 1/4 cup high-heat oil Add to list
Mix together all ingredients, except oil, in a bowl to make a batter of crêpe consistency.
Coat a cast-iron griddle or a heavy-bottomed sauté pan with oil and place over medium-high heat.
Measure out 1/4 cup batter and pour evenly across the pan. Cover with a lid and let cook for 2 minutes. Flip crêpe over and cook on the other side for 1 to 2 minutes. Repeat with remaining batter.
Serve crêpe with cilantro-mint chutney, mango chutney or ketchup.
Recipe by, PCC Cooks intstructor
Source: Demonstrated on the PCC Cooks stage at Vegfest 2013.