Beet Salad with Toasted Pumpkin Seeds
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil Add to list
- 1 teaspoon salt Add to list
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar Add to list
- 3/4 teaspoon Dijon mustard Add to list
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper Add to list
- 1 to 2 cloves garlic, minced (optional) Add to list
- 1/4 cup toasted pumpkin seeds (see note) Add to list
Preheat oven to 350° F.
Cut greens from the beets and set aside. Wash beets and place them in an ovenproof dish. Add 1 inch of water to the bottom of the dish and cover. Roast until the beets are slightly soft to the touch, 30 to 40 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool. Cut beets into bite-size chunks.
Wash beet greens by submerging in a sink full of cold water. Shake off water and chop the greens into bite-size pieces.
Mix dressing ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.
Combine roasted beets and beet greens in a bowl. Coat lightly with dressing, add toasted pumpkin seeds and serve.
How to toast nuts and seeds: Place pumpkin seeds in a dry skillet over medium heat (do not use any oil). Move the skillet back and forth over the heat with one hand; stir the seeds using a wooden spoon with the other hand. This will toast the seeds evenly and prevent burning. When seeds begin to pop and give off a nutty aroma they are ready. Remove seeds from skillet and set aside.
Recipe by, PCC Cooks instructor
Source: Demonstrated on the PCC Cooks stage at Vegfest 2010.