- 15-ounce can garbanzo beans, rinsed Add to list
- 3 tablespoons water Add to list
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt Add to list
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin Add to list
- Juice of 1 lemon Add to list
- 1 cup diced, cooked beets or 15-ounce can beets Add to list
- 2 cloves garlic Add to list
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided Add to list
- Dash of cayenne pepper Add to list
- 1/4 cup tahini Add to list
- Pinch of crushed red pepper or paprika Add to list
In the bowl of a food processor, add the garbanzo beans, water, salt, cumin and lemon juice. Process for about 1 minute. Add the beets, garlic, 3 tablespoons olive oil and cayenne pepper. Process for about 2 to 3 more minutes.
Add the tahini. Process and scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl, and process for 30 more seconds. If the hummus is thick you may add 2 to 3 tablespoons of water while the food processor is running to reach the perfect consistency.
Once it is creamy, remove it to a bowl and drizzle remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil over the top and sprinkle with crushed red pepper or paprika. Store hummus in an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 1 week.
Recipe by, PCC Cooks instructor
Source: Demonstrated on the PCC Cooks stage at Vegfest 2013.
Learn more about our recipes. View guidelines »