Beet and Apple Salad
Full of bold flavors — sweet, tart and spicy.
- 4 large beets (2 1/2 pounds) Add to list
- 5 thyme sprigs Add to list
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling Add to list
- Salt and freshly ground pepper Add to list
- 1/4 cup apple-cider vinegar Add to list
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard Add to list
- 3 tablespoons prepared horseradish Add to list
- 1/3 cup chopped salted pistachios Add to list
- 1 tart apple, thinly sliced Add to list
Preheat oven to 375° F. In a baking dish, lightly drizzle the beets and thyme with olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Cover with foil and roast until the beets are tender, about 1 hour and 45 minutes. Let cool, then peel the beets and cut them into 3/4-inch dice.
In a large bowl, whisk the vinegar with the mustard. Whisk in the remaining 1/2 cup of oil until emulsified. Add the horseradish and season with salt and pepper; toss with the beets and pistachios. Transfer the beets to a platter, top with the apple and serve.
Each serving: 280 cal, 21g fat (3g sat), 0mg chol, 160mg sodium, 20g carb, 5g fiber, 4g protein
Source: PCC Sound Consumer, October 2012