Serve this traditional Japanese dish with brown rice or Asian noodles.
- 1 pound flank steak, beef tenderloin or sirloin steak Add to list
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce Add to list
- 2 teaspoons honey Add to list
- 1/3 cup beef broth Add to list
- 1 tablespoon safflower or canola oil Add to list
- 1/2 cup sliced green onions (diagonal slices 1/2- inch wide) Add to list
- 1/2 cup sliced celery (diagonal slices 1-inch wide) Add to list
- 1 cup thinly sliced mushrooms (use shitake or chanterelle, if available) Add to list
- 3 cups torn fresh spinach, shredded Chinese or Nappa cabbage Add to list
- 5-ounce can sliced water chestnuts, drained Add to list
- 5-ounce can bamboo shoots, drained Add to list
- 1/2 cup bean sprouts Add to list
Trim fat from meat and thinly slice it on the diagonal. (For easier slicing, partially freeze the beef before slicing.)
Combine soy sauce, honey, and stock in a small bowl.
In large skillet, heat oil until hot, but not smoking. Add beef strips and stir-fry for 1 to 2 minutes, or just until browned. Pour soy sauce mixture over beef and cook until it bubbles. Push the meat to one side and add the green onions; stir-fry over medium high heat for 1 to 2 minutes. Push aside. Repeat with the celery, then the mushrooms. Add greens. Cook and stir until heated throughout. Repeat with water chestnuts, bamboo shoots, and finally bean sprouts. Serve immediately.