Bears for Breakfast
Yield: 12 to 15 bears
Kids can participate in every step of this recipe and get the benefit of added nutrition from the molasses and cinnamon! Get creative with your shapes!
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour Add to list
- 1 tablespoon baking powder Add to list
- 1/2 teaspoon salt Add to list
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon (optional) Add to list
- 1 1/2 cups milk or water Add to list
- 2 tablespoons oil Add to list
- 2 tablespoons molasses Add to list
- 2 teaspoons vinegar Add to list
- 2 eggs Add to list
Place the flour, baking powder, salt and cinnamon (if using) into a large bowl. Combine milk or water, oil, molasses, vinegar and eggs in a separate bowl. Pour the wet mixture into the dry and whisk until the batter is smooth.
Heat a bit of oil in a pan over medium-low heat. Pour the batter into a 4-inch circle in the middle of the pan and spoon 2 small, 1-inch circles for ears close to the top of the bear's "head." Flip when most of the bubbles have popped or the bottom is golden brown. Cook other side until golden brown, then move to a plate. Repeat with the remaining batter.
Serve the bears hot with butter, maple syrup, fresh berries, or any other delicious toppings. Save extras for an easy snack with peanut butter and jelly!
Recipe by, PCC Nutrition Educator