Basic Tomato Sauce
When it comes to preparing your sauce, get creative. Fresh herbs pack plenty of punch and really can elevate a dish. Canned fish, leftover veggies or a splash of cream also add depth of flavor as does grated or crumbled cheese. Try this basic sauce and then mix it up with what you’ve got — the variations are endless.
- 4 cups fresh-from-the-garden chopped tomatoes Add to list
- 1/4 cup olive oil Add to list
- 2 to 3 tablespoons red wine or balsamic vinegar Add to list
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped Add to list
- Salt and pepper, to taste Add to list
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh herbs Add to list
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup grated or crumbled cheese Add to list
Combine tomatoes, olive oil, vinegar, garlic, salt and pepper in a large serving bowl; let sit at room temperature for at least 20 minutes. Toss with hot pasta, herbs and cheese.
Ways to mix it up:
- Toss in sliced olives, rinsed capers or chopped roasted bell peppers
- Add a dash of crushed red pepper flakes
- Stir in walnuts or minced anchovy fillets