Basic Savory Crêpe Batter
Yield: 12 crêpes
- 1 cup white spelt or whole wheat flour Add to list
- 1 teaspoon salt Add to list
- 1 teaspoon turmeric Add to list
- 1 teaspoon dried basil Add to list
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano Add to list
- 3 eggs Add to list
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk or almond milk Add to list
- 3 tablespoons melted butter or oil, plus additional for frying Add to list
In a mixing bowl, combine dry flour, salt, turmeric, basil and oregano. In another bowl, combine eggs, milk and butter. Add half the wet ingredients to the dry and combine with a whisk. Add remaining wet mixture and whisk into a smooth batter. Let batter sit for 30 minutes.
Heat a 9-inch skillet and add a small amount of butter or oil. Add 1/4 cup of batter. Tilt the pan to spread batter thinly and evenly. Flip the crêpe when it turns golden brown and cook the other side until golden. Transfer crêpes to a plate or parchment paper and repeat process with remaining batter.
Cover and refrigerate for up to 1 week. If freezing, place waxed paper between each crêpe and seal in a freezer bag.
To assemble crêpes: Place 3 to 4 tablespoons of your filling of choice on each crêpe, roll and place on a baking tray or an ovenproof dish. Heat the crêpes before serving, 20 to 25 minutes at 350° F.
Recipe by, PCC Cooks instructor