Barley and Cranberry Salad
A very good source of fiber, barley has a robust, nut-like flavor and pleasant, chewy texture.
- 3 cups water or vegetable broth Add to list
- 1 cup pearled barley Add to list
- 1 teaspoon sea salt Add to list
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil Add to list
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar Add to list
- 1 clove garlic, minced Add to list
- 1/2 cup sliced red or sweet onions Add to list
- 2 tablespoons dried cranberries Add to list
- 1 cup watercress or other bitter greens of your choice (roughly chopped if larger leaves) Add to list
In a large saucepan, heat water or broth, barley and salt over high heat. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and let simmer until barley is cooked and tender, about 45 minutes.
In a large bowl, whisk together olive oil and vinegar; stir in garlic. Add sliced onions, cranberries, watercress or greens and cooked barley. Stir well. This is delicious served warm or chilled.
Recipe by, PCC Cooks instructor