Barley and Cranberry Salad
A very good source of fiber, barley has a robust, nut-like flavor and pleasant, chewy texture.
- 3 cups water or vegetable broth Add to list
- 1 cup pearled barley Add to list
- 1 teaspoon sea salt Add to list
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil Add to list
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar Add to list
- 1 clove garlic, minced Add to list
- 1/2 cup sliced red or sweet onions Add to list
- 2 tablespoons dried cranberries Add to list
- 1 cup watercress or other bitter greens of your choice (roughly chopped if larger leaves) Add to list
In a large saucepan, heat water or broth, barley and salt over high heat. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and let simmer until barley is cooked and tender, about 45 minutes.
In a large bowl, whisk together olive oil and vinegar; stir in garlic. Add sliced onions, cranberries, watercress or greens and cooked barley. Stir well. This is delicious served warm or chilled.
Recipe by, PCC Cooks instructor
Learn more about our recipes. View guidelines »