Banana-Maple Cornmeal Muffins
Yield: Makes 12 to 16 large muffins
This vegan muffin is tender from mashed banana, sweet from maple syrup and has a nice crunch from cornmeal. While it's not gluten-free, it is very low in gluten thanks to the use of barley flour.
- 2 cups cornmeal Add to list
- 1 cup barley flour Add to list
- 4 teaspoons baking powder Add to list
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt Add to list
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans Add to list
- 1 very ripe banana Add to list
- 1/2 cup soy yogurt (plain or vanilla) Add to list
- 1/2 cup maple syrup Add to list
- 1 cup water Add to list
In a medium bowl, whisk together cornmeal, barley flour and salt.
In a separate medium bowl, mash the banana with a fork. Whisk in yogurt, maple syrup and water.
Pour the wet mixture into the dry and whisk until well combined. Let rest at room temperature for 10 to 15 minutes.
While the batter rests, preheat oven to 375° F. Lightly oil muffin tin or line with paper or silicone liners. Fill each muffin cup about 3/4 of the way and bake for 15 to 20 minutes.