Balsamic Beets with Fennel and Quinoa
Serves: 4 to 6
The combination of beets, fennel and quinoa makes a hearty side dish or lunch salad.
- 1/2 cup pumpkin seeds Add to list
- 1/2 cup red or black quinoa Add to list
- 1 cup water Add to list
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar Add to list
- 1 tablespoon tamari Add to list
- 4 tablespoons exta virgin olive oil Add to list
- 1/2 teaspoon salt Add to list
- 2 to 3 cooked beets, diced Add to list
- 1 fennel bulb, core removed and thinly sliced Add to list
- 1/4 to 1/3 red onion, chopped Add to list
- 2 handfuls arugula Add to list
- 1/2 cup fresh basil or mint, chopped Add to list
Toast pumpkin seeds in a preheated 250º F oven for about 20 minutes, until lightly toasted.
Place quinoa in a saucepan with water. Bring to a boil, then turn heat down to low and simmer with lid on for 12 minutes. Turn off the heat and let quinoa sit for 15 to 20 minutes. Loosen with a fork.
Combine vinegar, tamari, oil and salt in a small mixing bowl.
Combine beets, quinoa, fennel and onions in a mixing bowl. Add arugula and basil or mint and toss with dressing. Sprinkle with toasted pumpkin seeds. This salad can be served warm or cold.
Recipe by, PCC Cooks instructor
Source: Demonstrated on the PCC Cooks stage at Vegfest 2013.