Balsamic Beets with Fennel and Quinoa
Serves: 4 to 6
- 1/2 cup pumpkin seeds Add to list
- 2 to 3 beets, cooked Add to list
- 1/2 cup red or black quinoa Add to list
- 1 fennel bulb Add to list
- 1/4 to 1/3 red onion Add to list
- 1/2 cup fresh basil or mint Add to list
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar Add to list
- 1 tablespoon tamari Add to list
- 4 tablespoons exta virgin olive oil Add to list
- 1/2 teaspoon salt Add to list
- 2 handfuls arugula Add to list
Toast pumpkin seeds in a preheated 250º F oven for about 20 minutes until lightly toasted.
Remove skin from beets and dice into medium-size pieces.
Place quinoa in a saucepan with 1 cup filtered water. Bring to a boil, then turn heat down to low and simmer with lid on for 12 minutes. Turn off the heat and let quinoa sit for 15 to 20 minutes. Loosen with a fork.
Cut the fennel bulb in half and discard the core. Slice thinly. Chop the red onion and fresh basil or mint.
Combine vinegar, tamari, oil and salt in a small mixing bowl.
Combine beets, quinoa, fennel and onion in a mixing bowl. Add arugula and basil or mint and toss with dressing. Sprinkle with toasted pumpkin seeds. This salad can be served warm or cold.
Recipe by, PCC Cooks instructor
Source: Demonstrated on the PCC Cooks stage at Vegfest 2013.