Baked Stuffed Cabbage Rolls
Create versatile rollups that can be stuffed with meat and other savory fillings by using cabbage as “wrappers.”
- 1 head green cabbage Add to list
- 1 tablespoon olive oil Add to list
- 1 onion, diced Add to list
- 1 parsnip, peeled and diced Add to list
- 1 carrot, peeled and diced Add to list
- 2 stalks celery, diced Add to list
- 3 cloves garlic, minced Add to list
- Pinch of nutmeg Add to list
- 2 cups cooked ground beef, quinoa, brown or basmati rice, or a combination Add to list
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley Add to list
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme Add to list
- 1/4 cup raisins Add to list
- 1/4 cup pine nuts Add to list
- Salt and pepper, to taste Add to list
- 1 (14-ounce) can crushed tomatoes Add to list
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste Add to list
- 1 to 2 cups vegetable or chicken stock Add to list
- 1 tablespoon sugar Add to list
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar Add to list
Preheat oven to 350° F.
Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Remove the 12 largest outer cabbage leaves and blanch them, a few at a time, until just flexible, 2 to 3 minutes. Place blanched leaves in a bowl of ice water for 2 to 3 minutes. Drain ice water and cut out the thick center rib on each leaf, keeping the leaf as intact as possible. Dry leaves well.
Shred remaining cabbage and place in a large baking dish.
Heat oil in a sauté pan over medium heat. Add onions, parsnips, carrots and celery and cook until just tender, 5 to 7 minutes. Stir in garlic and nutmeg; cook for 1 additional minute. Remove from the heat and add beef, quinoa or rice, parsley, thyme, raisins and pine nuts. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
In a saucepan, combine crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, stock, sugar and vinegar. Cook over medium heat until combined. Season with salt and pepper; set aside.
Lay a cabbage leaf on a work surface and place a generous scoop of the filling in the center of the leaf. Roll up leaf burrito-style and place the cabbage roll on top of the shredded cabbage, seam-side down. Repeat with remaining cabbage leaves and filling.
Top cabbage rolls with sauce. Cover the dish and bake until heated through, 30 to 40 minutes. Remove the cover and bake until the sauce is bubbling, about 10 more minutes.
Recipe by, PCC Chef