Baked Pork Ribs
Prep time: 1 1/2 hours
- 5 pounds pork loin ribs, trimmed of excess fat Add to list
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped Add to list
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon Add to list
- 1 tablespoon dried basil Add to list
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground allspice Add to list
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger Add to list
- 1 or 2 teaspoons crushed dried hot red chiles Add to list
- 3 dried bay leaves Add to list
- 3 cloves garlic, minced or pressed Add to list
- 1 can (about 1 lb) sliced peaches, drained Add to list
- 1 bottle (18 oz) prepared barbecue sauce Add to list
Place ribs in an 8 to 10 quart pan. Add onion, cinnamon, basil, allspice, ginger, 1 teaspoon of the chiles, bay leaves and garlic. Fill pan with just enough water to cover ribs. Put lid on pan and bring water to boil over high heat. Reduce heat to simmer and cook until meat is tender when pierced, about 50 minutes.
Meanwhile, purée the peaches. Mix with barbecue sauce and remaining 1 teaspoon chiles.
Drain the ribs. Bake in slow oven at 325° F for 30 minutes uncovered. Using a pastry brush, baste ribs frequently with barbecue mix and turn frequently to develop a rich brown glaze—approximately 20 minutes. Serve hot with remaining sauce.
Source: Sound Consumer January 2001