Baked Pears with Spiced Whipped Cream
Serves: 4 to 6
- 6 large organic Bosc pears Add to list
- 1 1/2 to 3-inch piece of organic ginger root Add to list
- 4 to 6 cups plain organic apple cider Add to list
- Juice from 1/2 organic lemon (freshly squeezed) Add to list
- 1 vanilla bean (split and scraped) Add to list
- 1 bay leaf Add to list
- 1 cinnamon stick Add to list
- 1/2 cup Florida Crystals, or other natural cane sugar Add to list
- 8 ounces Organic Valley Heavy Whipping Cream Add to list
- Freshly grated nutmeg Add to list
Preheat oven to 350º F.
Wash pears; do not peel or remove stems. Cut lengthwise. With a teaspoon, scoop out just the pith and seeds — or leave as is for a more rustic appearance. If preferred, the 12 halves can be sliced again lengthwise, for 24 quarter pieces. Arrange pears, cut side up in a baking dish.
Grate unpeeled ginger root onto a plate. Gather grated ginger and squeeze over pears and then scatter. Pour cider over pears, until they are nearly covered. Add lemon juice, vanilla bean, bay leaf, cinnamon stick and Florida Crystals. Bake, covered, for 1 hour.
Place pears in a serving dish. Reduce remaining sauce in a saucepan over medium heat until it thickens. Spoon sauce over pears. Whip cream and spoon over pears. Sprinkle with nutmeg.
Adapted from a recipe by Goldie Caughlan, former PCC Nutrition Education Manager. Served at the 2009 fall member meeting. The complete menu included:
- Roasted Pork Loin with Mushroom Sauce
- Roasted Vegetable Nut Loaf with Mushroom Béchamel Sauce (vegan) or Herbed Mushroom Sauce
- Fall Farro Pilaf (vegan)
- Spiced Beet Salad with Local Mixed Greens, Pickled Onions and Sherry Vinaigrette (vegan)
- Baked Pears with Spiced Whipped Cream and Wheat-Free Vanilla Cake
- Fidalgo Bay Coffees
Recipe by, former PCC Nutrition Education Manager
Source: 2009 fall member meeting