Baked Apples with Maple-Cranberry Butter
The aroma of these apples as they bake will fill your kitchen with spice and fruit. These are perfect for brunch or as a beautiful side dish for holiday meals. Photo shows Pink Lady® (Cripps Pink) apples
- 4 tart apples, like galas, pink ladies or braeburn Add to list
- 1 lemon, cut in half Add to list
- 2 tablespoons dried cranberries Add to list
- 2 tablespoons Grand Marnier or sweet sherry Add to list
- 1 stick butter, softened Add to list
- 2 tablespoons slivered almonds, toasted Add to list
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup Add to list
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon Add to list
- Pinch of ground clove Add to list
Peel away 1/2 inch of the peel around the stem end of the apple. Using a melon baller or spoon, scoop the core out of the apples. Rub the exposed surfaces with lemon juice.
In a small bowl, combine the cranberries and the liqueur or sherry. Let sit for 30 minutes. In a food processor, combine the butter, almonds, cranberries and liqueur, maple syrup, cinnamon and clove. Squeeze in any remaining lemon juice. Process until the mixture is smooth.
Fill the apples with the mixture. Bake in a preheated 350º F oven for 20 to 30 minutes or until the apples are tender. Serve warm or cold.
Recipe by, PCC Cooks instructor
ABOUT OUR CHEF: Lynne Vea
Lynne Vea is a graduate of the Executive Chef Program at Le Cordon Bleu, Paris and has been cooking with PCC Natural Markets since 2001. Featured on King-5’s "Gardening with Ciscoe," she demonstrates easy and delicious recipes using seasonal ingredients.
Lynne is an admired PCC Cooks instructor, teaching a variety of popular PCC Cooks classes throughout the year.
She loves to collect old cookbooks, hunt for wild berries, and cook seven-course dinners where the guests are encouraged to dance and cavort between courses.
Find more recipes from Lynne.
Learn more about our recipes. View guidelines »