Baked Apple French Toast
Warm up your kitchen with the flavors of fresh-baked apples. Try a new toast-twist on an old favorite.
- 1/2 cup butter Add to list
- 1/2 cup turbinado or brown sugar Add to list
- 6 large tart organic apples, peeled and thinly sliced Add to list
- 6 to 10 slices firm bread (Try Essential Baking Company's Challah or Raisin Pecan loaves) Add to list
- 5 eggs Add to list
- 1 1/2 cups milk Add to list
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon Add to list
Preheat oven to 350° F. Lightly oil a 9x13-inch baking dish.
In a large sauté pan, melt butter. Add brown sugar and apples and cook over medium heat 1 to 2 minutes. Pour into prepared baking dish and set aside to cool.
Slice bread slices in half diagonally, and place in one layer over apples to cover whole dish.
In a large bowl, beat together eggs, milk and vanilla. Pour mixture over all, making sure all the bread is moistened. Sprinkle with cinnamon.
Bake for 40 to 50 minutes, until golden brown and puffy. Let cool for 10 minutes. Cut into squares and serve with powdered sugar or your favorite syrup.
Source: Sound Consumer, October 2003
Recipe adapted from Recipesource.com