Bacon Chard Quesadillas
Don’t dry the chard completely after rinsing – this extra water will help steam the greens, making them nice and tender in these colorful quesadillas.
- 1 tablespoon high-heat oil Add to list
- 1/2 onion, sliced Add to list
- 1 red bell pepper – halved, seeded and thinly sliced Add to list
- 1 clove garlic, minced Add to list
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin Add to list
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano Add to list
- 1 bunch Swiss chard – rinsed, tough stems removed and leaves chopped Add to list
- Salt and pepper, to taste Add to list
- 1/2 cup shredded fontina or provolone cheese Add to list
- 1/2 cup shredded pepper jack cheese Add to list
- 8 (6-inch) corn or flour tortillas Add to list
- 4 slices cooked bacon, crumbled Add to list
Heat oil in a large, heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Cook onions and bell peppers until soft, about 5 minutes. Stir in garlic, cumin and oregano.
Add chard to the skillet, cover and reduce heat to low. Steam chard until wilted, about 5 minutes. Uncover and cook until remaining liquid has evaporated, 2 to 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Remove chard mixture from skillet.
Combine cheeses in a small bowl. Set aside.
Place 1 tortilla in the skillet over medium heat. Sprinkle with 1/4 cup cheese, 1/4 of the chard mixture and 1/4 of the crumbled bacon; top with a second tortilla. Cook until golden brown and cheese is melted, about 2 minutes per side. Repeat with remaining tortillas, cheese, chard mixture and bacon. Cut into wedges and serve.
Each serving: 330 cal, 17g fat (7g sat),30mg chol, 860mg sodium, 35g carb, 6g fiber, 16g protein