Serves: 6 to 8
The high potassium content found in avocados (more potassium than bananas!) makes them noteworthy when it comes to heart health. Potassium is important for keeping blood pressure in check.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil Add to list
- 1/2 cup chopped onions Add to list
- 1/4 cup chopped green bell peppers or green chiles such as Anaheim or Poblano Add to list
- 1 tablespoon oregano Add to list
- 1 (15-ounce) jar green enchilada sauce (mild or medium) Add to list
- 2 large avocados, chopped (1 1/2 to 2 cups) Add to list
- 3 to 4 cups chicken or vegetable stock Add to list
- 1/2 large lime, juiced, or to taste Add to list
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro Add to list
- Salt and pepper, to taste Add to list
- Chopped fresh avocado, tomato and cilantro sprigs, for garnish Add to list
- Lime wedges and hot sauce, for garnish Add to list
In a soup pot over medium heat, add oil and cook onions, bell peppers and oregano for 6 to 8 minutes or until onions are tender. Stir in enchilada sauce, avocados and 3 cups stock. Purée in batches in a blender or food processor until smooth.
Return to the pot and heat gently. If you would like the soup a little thinner, add additional stock. Season with lime juice, cilantro, salt and pepper. Serve hot, garnished with chopped avocado, tomato and cilantro. Serve with lime wedges and hot sauce.
Each serving: 160cal, 13g fat (2g sat), 0mg chol, 640mg sodium, 12g carb, 5g fiber, 2g protein
Recipe by, PCC Chef