Avgolemono Soup (Greek Lemon Chicken Soup)
Serves: 4 to 6
- 2 tablespoons olive oil Add to list
- 1 onion, finely diced Add to list
- 2/3 cup Arborio rice Add to list
- 5 cups chicken stock, plus 1 cup water Add to list
- 1 pound uncooked boneless, skinless chicken breast, diced Add to list
- 2 large eggs Add to list
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice Add to list
- 1 tablespoon salt Add to list
- 1 teaspoon ground pepper Add to list
- Fresh parsley for garnish Add to list
In a medium pot, heat the olive oil and sauté the onions until they are soft and translucent. While the onions are cooking, bring another pot of salted water to a boil and add the rice.
When the onions are ready, add the chicken stock and water and bring to a bare simmer.
When the rice is nearly done — firm, but mostly cooked — drain the boiling water and add the rice to the chicken broth. Add the diced chicken breast to the pot. Let this cook 5 to 8 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.
In a small bowl, beat the eggs and lemon juice together. Pour 2 cups of broth slowly into the bowl of egg and lemon, whisking continuously. Once all the broth is incorporated, add the mixture into the pot of chicken soup and stir to blend well throughout. Season with salt and pepper and garnish with parsley. Serve hot.
Each serving: 310 cal, 13g fat (3g sat), 130mg chol, 1,890mg sodium, 21g carb, 1g fiber, 26g protein