Avgolemono Soup (Greek Lemon Chicken Soup)
Serves: 4 to 6
Fresh and lemony, the richness of this soup comes not from cream, but from beaten eggs.
- 2/3 cup Arborio rice Add to list
- 2 tablespoons olive oil Add to list
- 1 onion, finely diced Add to list
- 5 cups chicken stock Add to list
- 1 cup water Add to list
- 1 pound uncooked boneless, skinless chicken breast, diced Add to list
- 2 large eggs Add to list
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice Add to list
- Salt and pepper, to taste Add to list
- Fresh parsley, for garnish Add to list
Bring a pot of salted water to a boil and add rice. Cook until rice is al dente, about 10 minutes. Drain and set aside.
In a pot, heat oil over medium heat. Sauté onions until they are soft and translucent, about 5 minutes. Add chicken stock and water and bring to a bare simmer. Add rice to onion-chicken stock mixture. Add diced chicken breast to the pot. Let cook 5 to 8 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.
In a small bowl, beat eggs and lemon juice together. Pour 2 cups of broth slowly into the bowl of egg and lemon, whisking continuously. Once all the broth is incorporated, add egg-broth mixture into the pot of chicken soup and stir to blend well throughout. Season with salt and pepper; garnish with parsley. Serve hot.
Each serving: 300 cal, 10g fat (2g sat), 145mg chol, 670mg sodium, 26g carb, 2g fiber, 2g sugars, 26g protein