Asparagus with Edamame and Shiitakes
When asparagus is in season, this is a fun way to mix up new flavor combinations.
- 3 tablespoons neutral-flavored oil, divided Add to list
- 1/2 pound shiitake mushrooms, sliced Add to list
- 1 1/2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil Add to list
- 2 pounds asparagus, sliced into 2-inch pieces Add to list
- 3 tablespoons mirin (sweetened rice wine) Add to list
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice Add to list
- 1 tablespoon tamari Add to list
- 3 tablespoons water Add to list
- 6 ounces edamame, shelled Add to list
- 1 teaspoon salt Add to list
Heat wok with 1 tablespoon oil and sauté mushrooms until they start to brown. Remove from the pan. Add remaining oil and sesame oil. Sauté asparagus until tender-crisp, about 2 minutes. Remove asparagus from the pan.
Heat mirin in the wok until reduced by half. Add lemon juice, tamari and water; bring to a boil until the sauce is slightly thickened. Add edamame, then return asparagus and mushrooms to the pan and toss to blend. Season with salt and serve.
Recipe by, former PCC Cooks instructor