Asparagus, Carrot and Hijiki Salad with a Sesame-Mint Dressing
- 1 cup asparagus, tough ends removed, tender stalks cut into 1/3-inch pieces Add to list
- 1 cup organic shelled edamame beans Add to list
- 1/3 cup julienned carrots Add to list
- 2 tablespoons hijiki, rehydrated in hot water for 10 minutes, rinsed and drained Add to list
- 1 tablespoon black sesame seeds Add to list
Have a bowl of ice water ready to "shock" asparagus after it has been cooked. Bring a small pot of water to a boil. Season the water generously and cook asparagus just until it turns bright green, about 2 minutes. Scoop out asparagus or pour through a colander and then plunge into ice water for a minute to set the color and stop the cooking. Drain and dry the asparagus with a paper towel and then mix in a bowl with the edamame, carrots, rehydrated hijiki and black sesame seeds.
Whisk together salad dressing ingredients in a bowl or shake up in a jar and toss with asparagus mixture. Taste for salt and pepper and adjust as needed. Serve.
Recipe by, PCC Cooks instructor
Source: Demonstrated on the PCC Cooks stage at Vegfest 2010.