Asparagus and Prosciutto Salad with Pistachio Vinaigrette
The flavors of asparagus, prosciutto and spring greens are deepened by an earthy, nutty pistachio vinaigrette.
- 1 1/2 cups pistachios Add to list
- 1 bunch asparagus, tough stems removed and stalks sliced in thirds Add to list
- 3 cups spring greens Add to list
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided Add to list
- Salt and pepper, to taste Add to list
- 1 teaspoon minced shallots Add to list
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice Add to list
- 2 tablespoons champagne vinegar Add to list
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt Add to list
- 3 ounces thinly sliced prosciutto, cut into bite-size pieces Add to list
Toast pistachios on a baking sheet in a 350º F oven for about 10 minutes. Set aside to cool.
Bring 4 quarts salted water to a boil. Blanch asparagus until just tender, 1 to 2 minutes. Lift out and place in a bowl of ice water to cool, then drain. Dress greens with 2 tablespoons oil. Season with salt and pepper and place on serving plates.
In a food processor, finely grind 1 cup pistachios. Set aside. Add shallots, lemon juice, vinegar and salt to the processor; pulse to combine. Slowly add remaining olive oil until emulsified. Add ground pistachios; pulse to combine.
Dress asparagus with enough vinaigrette to coat well and place on the greens. Top with prosciutto and the 1/2 cup remaining whole pistachios.
Recipe by, former PCC Cooks instructor