Asparagus and Prosciutto Salad with Pistachio Vinaigrette
The flavors of asparagus, prosciutto and spring greens are deepened by an earthy, nutty pistachio vinaigrette.
- 1 1/2 cups pistachios Add to list
- 1 bunch asparagus, sliced in thirds Add to list
- 3 cups spring greens Add to list
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil Add to list
- Sea salt and ground pepper to taste Add to list
- 3 ounces thinly sliced prosciutto, cut into bite-size pieces Add to list
Toast pistachios on a baking sheet in a 350º F oven about 10 minutes. Set aside to cool.
Bring 4 quarts of salted water to a boil. Blanch the asparagus until just tender. Lift out and place in a bowl of ice water to cool, then drain. Dress the greens with 2 tablespoons of the olive oil. Season with salt and pepper and place on serving plates.
In a food processor, finely grind 1 cup of the pistachios. Set aside. Add shallots, lemon juice, champagne vinegar and salt to the processor; pulse to combine. Slowly add remaining olive oil until emulsified. Then add ground pistachios; pulse to combine.
Dress the asparagus with enough vinaigrette to coat well and place on the greens. Top with prosciutto and the 1/2 cup remaining whole pistachios.
Recipe by, former PCC Cooks instructor
Source: Sound Consumer April 2007