Asian Noodle Salad with Toasted Sesame Dressing
Prep time: 20 to 25 minutes
This recipe is perfect for showcasing seasonal produce. Use any combination and any amount of vegetables you like, such as fresh herbs, shredded carrots, zucchini or bok choy. For a complete meal, top with your choice of protein such as crispy tofu, grilled chicken breast or grass-fed flank steak.
- 1 8-ounce package soba noodles Add to list
- 1/4 cup toasted sesame seeds Add to list
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil Add to list
- 3 tablespoons tamari Add to list
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar Add to list
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup Add to list
- 1 tablespoon hot pepper oil, or to taste Add to list
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro leaves Add to list
- Seasonal vegetables and protein (optional) Add to list
Cook soba noodles according to package directions. Drain and rinse in colander.
To toast sesame seeds, place in a dry skillet over medium heat. Keep seeds moving until they release aroma, pop and begin to change color. Remove from heat and set aside.
Whisk together sesame oil, tamari, vinegar, maple syrup and hot pepper oil in a small bowl. Place drained noodles in a large bowl. Add dressing, chopped cilantro and toasted sesame seeds; toss gently. Add seasonal vegetables and protein if using and toss again.
This flavorful noodle dish is delicious hot, cold or at room temperature.
Each serving: 354 cal, 15g fat (2g sat), 0mg chol, 1205mg sodium, 49g carb, 1g fiber, 11g protein
Recipe by, Recipe reprinted with permission from "Feeding the Whole Family" (third edition) by Cynthia Lair (Sasquatch Books, 2008).