Artichoke and Herb Risotto
Serves: 4 to 6
- 7 to 8 cups vegetable stock Add to list
- 7 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided Add to list
- 1/2 cup finely chopped shallots Add to list
- 2 (14-ounce) cans artichoke hearts, drained and chopped (or 1 pound fresh artichokes, trimmed and julienned) Add to list
- 1 large clove garlic, crushed Add to list
- 2 large sprigs fresh thyme, leaves removed and chopped Add to list
- 1 pound (about 2 cups) Arborio or Carnaroli rice Add to list
- 1/2 cup dry white wine Add to list
- 3/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese Add to list
- 2 tablespoons chopped Italian parsley Add to list
- Salt and pepper, to taste Add to list
Bring stock to a simmer in a saucepan and keep warm.
Melt 5 tablespoons butter in a 3-quart saucepan over medium heat. Add shallots and sauté about 2 minutes, then add artichokes and sauté 3 to 4 minutes (8 to 10 minutes, if fresh). Add the garlic and thyme. Turn the heat to medium-high, add the rice and stir for 1 minute. Add the wine and cook until it evaporates.
Reduce heat to medium and add 1 cup of the simmering stock, stirring constantly. As soon as the stock has absorbed, add another 1/2 cup of stock. Stir constantly until the stock has absorbed. Repeat this process until the rice is creamy and al dente, about 20 minutes
Remove the pan from the heat and vigorously stir in remaining 2 tablespoons butter, Parmesan cheese and parsley. Season with salt and pepper. Serve immediately. Top with additional Parmesan, if desired.
Rach serving: 550 cal, 18g fat (10g sat), 45mg chol, 960mg sodium, 81g carb, 13g fiber, 15g protein
Recipe by, PCC Cooks instructor
Learn more about our recipes. View guidelines »