Artichoke and Couscous Salad
With the addition of tuna, this grain salad is fit for a meal.
- 2 cups vegetable stock Add to list
- Pinch of saffron Add to list
- 1 cup couscous Add to list
- 1 clove garlic, minced Add to list
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice Add to list
- 2 tablespoons olive oil Add to list
- Salt and pepper, to taste Add to list
- 2 whole artichokes, cooked and hearts removed and sliced (see Steamed or Boiled Artichokes) Add to list
- 1 (5-ounce) can tuna, drained and flaked Add to list
- 4 ounces baby spinach Add to list
- 1 cup halved cherry tomatoes Add to list
- 1 preserved lemon, rind rinsed and thinly sliced (optional) Add to list
- 1/2 red onion, chopped Add to list
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley Add to list
Bring vegetable stock to a boil and add a pinch of saffron. Remove from heat and stir in couscous. Cover and let sit until liquid is absorbed, 5 to 10 minutes. Remove lid and fluff with a fork; set aside.
In a small bowl, whisk together garlic, lemon juice and olive oil. Season to taste with salt and pepper; set aside.
In a large bowl, combine couscous, artichoke hearts, tuna, spinach, tomatoes, preserved lemon rind, onions and parsley. Toss to combine with dressing. Allow to sit for 15 minutes before serving, to absorb flavors.
The artichoke hearts can be prepared up to 2 days in advance and kept in the fridge until you are ready to assemble the salad.