Apple Quinoa Salad with Curry Dressing
Crisp apple, chewy quinoa and toasted almonds give this nutty and sweet curried salad a full flavor and hearty texture.
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds Add to list
- 1 cup quinoa Add to list
- 2 cups water Add to list
- 1 teaspoon honey Add to list
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped shallot Add to list
- 1 teaspoon curry powder Add to list
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse salt Add to list
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice Add to list
- Freshly ground pepper Add to list
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil Add to list
- 2 tablespoons dried currants or dried cherries Add to list
- 2 Fuji apples, cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices Add to list
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley Add to list
Toast almonds until fragrant in a 375º F oven, about 7 minutes. Set aside.
Rinse quinoa thoroughly in a fine sieve and drain. Bring 2 cups water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Add quinoa, return to a boil, stir, cover and reduce heat. Simmer until quinoa is tender but still chewy, about 15 minutes. Fluff quinoa with a fork and let cool.
For the dressing, whisk together honey, shallot, curry powder, salt and lemon juice in a large bowl. Season with pepper. Whisking constantly, add olive oil in a slow, steady stream and whisk until emulsified. Add quinoa, almonds, currants, apples and parsley; toss well.
Source: Sound Consumer September 2006
Learn more about our recipes. View guidelines »