Apple Pie Morning Oatmeal
Hearty and healthy steel-cut oats are cooked with almond milk and served with sweet, caramelized apples.
- 2 cups water Add to list
- 1 1/2 cups almond milk Add to list
- 1 cup steel-cut oats Add to list
- 1/4 teaspoon salt Add to list
- 1 tablespoon butter Add to list
- 2 apples – peeled, cored and sliced into wedges Add to list
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar, divided Add to list
- 1 tablespoon flax or chia seeds (optional) Add to list
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract Add to list
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon Add to list
Bring water and almond milk to a boil in a medium-sized pot. Stir in steel-cut oats and salt. Reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered, for 20 to 25 minutes.
Meanwhile, prepare sautéed apples: Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add apple slices and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes. Stir in 1 tablespoon brown sugar. Reduce heat to low and cook until soft and caramelized, about 10 minutes.
When oats are creamy and tender, stir in remaining brown sugar, flax or chia seeds, vanilla and cinnamon. Divide between four bowls, top with sautéed apples and serve immediately.
Learn more about our recipes. View guidelines »