Ancient Garbanzo Soup
Serves: 10 to 12
Packed with protein, this garbanzo bean soup is lightly scented with saffron, bay and other spices.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil Add to list
- 1 large onion, finely chopped Add to list
- 1 red bell pepper, finely chopped Add to list
- 1 carrot, finely chopped Add to list
- 2 ribs celery, finely chopped Add to list
- 3 cloves garlic, minced Add to list
- 1 teaspoon paprika Add to list
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon Add to list
- Pinch of saffron threads Add to list
- 3 cups cooked garbanzo beans Add to list
- 1 bay leaf Add to list
- 4 to 6 cups vegetable or chicken stock Add to list
- 1 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes Add to list
- 1 bunch greens, such as curly kale, finely chopped Add to list
- Lemon zest and wedges Add to list
- Fresh parsley or mint Add to list
Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium heat. Sauté onions, red peppers, carrots and celery until soft, about 7 minutes. Add garlic, paprika, cinnamon and saffron and sauté 1 additional minute.
Add garbanzo beans, bay leaf, stock, tomatoes and greens. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes. Serve garnished with lemon zest, lemon wedges and parsley or mint.
Recipe by, PCC Cooks instructor