Anasazi Bean Burgers
This bean burger comes to us from the founders of Couer d'Alene's Moon Time restaurant.
- 1 cup dried Anasazi beans, soaked Add to list
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, and as needed Add to list
- 1/4 cup diced yellow onions Add to list
- 1/4 cup diced red bell peppers Add to list
- 1/4 cup diced green bell peppers Add to list
- 1/4 cup diced carrots Add to list
- 1 teaspoon cumin Add to list
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper Add to list
- Salt and pepper, to taste Add to list
- 1 egg Add to list
- 1 cup dried breadcrumbs Add to list
Cook beans in water for about 1 hour, until soft but not mushy. Drain, without rinsing, and cool.
Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a frying pan. Sauté onions, bell peppers and carrots until soft, about 10 minutes. Cool.
Process beans in a food processor until roughly chopped. Remove beans and repeat with the cooked vegetables.
Combine beans and vegetables in a large mixing bowl. Season with cumin, cayenne, salt and pepper. Add egg and then work in breadcrumbs until the mixture holds its shape. If a little dry, add up to 1 tablespoon additional oil.
Form mixture into 4 patties. Sauté in a pan over medium heat with 1 tablespoon oil until golden, approximately 3 minutes on each side.