Anasazi Bean Burgers
A "beefy" patty with a robust flavor — not just for vegetarians.
- 1 cup dried Anasazi beans, soaked Add to list
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, and as needed Add to list
- 1/4 cup yellow onion, diced Add to list
- 1/4 cup red bell pepper, diced Add to list
- 1/4 cup green bell pepper, diced Add to list
- 1/4 cup carrots, diced Add to list
- 1 teaspoon cumin Add to list
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper Add to list
- Salt and pepper to taste Add to list
- 1 egg Add to list
- 1 cup dried bread crumbs Add to list
- Serve with a slice of your favorite PCC Deli cheese and garlic mayonnaise. Add to list
Cook the beans in water for about 1 hour, until soft but not mushy. Drain, without rinsing, and cool.
Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a frying pan. Sauté the onion, bell peppers and carrots until soft, about 10 minutes. Cool.
Process the beans in a food processor until roughly chopped. Remove the beans and repeat same step for the vegetables.
Combine beans and vegetables in a large mixing bowl. Season with cumin, cayenne, and salt and pepper to taste. Add the egg and then work in the bread crumbs until the mixture holds shape. If a little dry, add up to 1 tablespoon of additional olive oil.
Form mixture into 4 patties. Sauté with 1 tablespoon olive oil until golden, approximately 3 minutes on each side.
Source: Recipe from wedonthaveone.com
Learn more about our recipes. View guidelines »