Amuse Bouche of Melon with Basil and Chiles
Yield: About 24 bites
Perfect for a hot summer day, this refreshingly chilled melon appetizer is finished with tangy lime, salty fish sauce and fragrant basil.
- 1 ripe cantaloupe Add to list
- 1/4 cup lime juice Add to list
- 2 tablespoons sugar Add to list
- 2 tablespoons finely diced poblano chile Add to list
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh basil Add to list
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce, or to taste Add to list
- A few drops of hot sauce (optional) Add to list
- Small skewers Add to list
- Fresh raspberries or small cubes of plum Add to list
- Small basil leaves Add to list
Peel and seed cantaloupe and cut into bite-sized pieces.
In a bowl, combine lime juice, sugar, poblano, basil and fish sauce. Adjust the seasoning to your taste with additional fish sauce, sugar and/or hot sauce. Add cantaloupe and toss to marinate. Chill for about 1 hour.
Using small skewers, spear each melon ball with a raspberry and basil leaf.
Recipe by, PCC Chef
Source: Demonstrated on KING 5's "Gardening with Ciscoe" show, which aired on July 27, 2013.
ABOUT OUR CHEF: Lynne Vea
Lynne Vea is a graduate of the Executive Chef Program at Le Cordon Bleu, Paris and has been cooking with PCC Natural Markets since 2001. Featured on King-5’s "Gardening with Ciscoe," she demonstrates easy and delicious recipes using seasonal ingredients.
Lynne is an admired PCC Cooks instructor, teaching a variety of popular PCC Cooks classes throughout the year.
She loves to collect old cookbooks, hunt for wild berries, and cook seven-course dinners where the guests are encouraged to dance and cavort between courses.
Find more recipes from Lynne.