Serves: 4 to 6
Amaranth has a nutty, earthy flavor.
- 1 cup amaranth Add to list
- 2 tablespoons minced shallots Add to list
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt Add to list
- 1 1/2 cups mushroom broth Add to list
- 1 large egg Add to list
- 2 tablespoons flour Add to list
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh marjoram Add to list
- High-heat oil, such as safflower or sunflower, as needed Add to list
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley, to garnish Add to list
- Parmesan cheese, to shave on top (optional) Add to list
Place amaranth, shallots, salt and broth in a saucepan. Bring to a simmer, cover and reduce heat to very low. Cook for 25 minutes or until grain absorbs all the liquid. Transfer to a mixing bowl and let cool. Stir in egg, flour and marjoram.
Pour 1/8-inch layer of oil into large skillet, and heat over medium heat. When oil is hot, drop in 2 tablespoon-size mounds of amaranth mixture and flatten with a fork into a pancake shape. Cook until browned on the bottoms, about 1 minute. Flip and brown the other side. Repeat with remaining mixture.
To serve, garnish with chopped parsley and shaved Parmesan, if using; serve immediately.
Recipe by, PCC Cooks instructor