Serves: 4 to 6
Amaranth has a nutty, earthy flavor.
- 1 cup amaranth Add to list
- 2 tablespoons shallots Add to list
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt Add to list
- 1 1/2 cups mushroom broth Add to list
- 1 large egg Add to list
- 2 tablespoons flour Add to list
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh marjoram Add to list
- High heat oil, such as safflower or sunflower, as needed Add to list
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley, to garnish Add to list
- Optional garnish: Parmesan to shave on top Add to list
Place amaranth, shallots, salt and mushroom broth in a medium-size saucepan. Bring to a simmer, cover and reduce heat to very low. Cook for 25 minutes or until grain absorbs all liquid. Transfer to mixing bowl and let cool. Stir in egg, flour and marjoram.
Pour 1/8-inch layer of oil into large skillet, and heat over medium heat. When oil is hot, drop in 2 tablespoon-size mounds of amaranth mixture and flatten with fork into pancake shape. Cook until browned on bottoms, about 1 minute, flip and brown the other side. Repeat with remaining mixture.
To serve, garnish with chopped parsley and shaved cheese, if using; serve immediately.
Recipe by, PCC Cooks instructor