Aloo Tamatar (Spiced Potato Curry)
This dish is served during festivals and religious feasts with Poori, a fried whole-wheat bread.
- 1 tablespoon high-heat oil Add to list
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds Add to list
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds Add to list
- 1/2 teaspoon fenugreek seeds (optional) Add to list
- 1 cup finely chopped tomatoes or 1/2 cup tomato sauce Add to list
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric Add to list
- 3 potatoes - boiled, peeled and cubed (about 3 cups) Add to list
- 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste Add to list
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander Add to list
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional) Add to list
- 2 cups water Add to list
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro (optional) Add to list
Heat oil in a heavy saucepan over medium heat. Add cumin, mustard and fenugreek seeds. Let splutter (about 30 seconds to 1 minute). Add tomatoes or tomato sauce and cook for 2 minutes until tomatoes are soft. Add turmeric and potatoes; mix well. Add salt, coriander and cayenne pepper.
Add water, cover and let simmer for 10 minutes. Transfer to a serving dish and garnish with cilantro, if desired.
Recipe by, PCC Cooks instructor
Source: Demonstrated on the PCC Cooks stage at Vegfest 2010.