Almond Polenta Cake with Nectarines and Crème Fraîche
Serves: 6 to 8
- 1 cup butter Add to list
- 1 cup sugar Add to list
- 2 cups almond meal Add to list
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract Add to list
- 3 eggs Add to list
- Juice of one orange Add to list
- 1 cup dry polenta Add to list
- 1 teaspoon baking powder Add to list
- Pinch of salt Add to list
- 4 to 5 nectarines, sliced Add to list
- Crème fraîche or whipped cream, to taste Add to list
- Almond-flavored liqueur, to taste (optional) Add to list
Preheat oven to 375° F. Butter and flour a 9-inch springform cake pan.
Beat the butter until it becomes pale and soft, then add sugar and beat the mixture until light and creamy. Stir in the ground almonds and the vanilla extract.
Add the eggs, one at a time, beating thoroughly before you add the next one. Fold in the orange juice, polenta, baking powder and salt. Spoon into the buttered cake pan and bake 35 to 40 minutes or until a deep golden brown and still a bit wobbly in the center. Cool cake in pan about 20 minutes, then loosen sides of pan and finish cooling.
To serve, cut into slices, put a dollop of whipped cream or crème fraîche on top of each piece and top with sliced nectarines. Drizzle with almond liquer, if desired.
Source: Sound Consumer August 2004