Almond Buckwheat Pancakes
Any member of the family will love these hearty buckwheat pancakes, made with crunchy slivered almonds. Toasting the almonds on a baking sheet at 350°F for about 15 minutes brings out their nutty flavor and makes these breakfast cakes even tastier. Top with butter and a bit of syrup. And serve with fresh raspberries and a tall, cold glass of orange juice for a quick and easy meal.
- 3/4 cup flour, sifted Add to list
- 1/2 cup buckwheat flour, unsifted Add to list
- 1/4 cup ground almonds, or use Bob's Red Mill almond flour, available in PCC baking departments Add to list
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder Add to list
- 1/4 teaspoon salt Add to list
- 2 large eggs, separated Add to list
- 2 tablespoons melted butter Add to list
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup Add to list
- 1 cup skim milk Add to list
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds Add to list
- Vegetable cooking spray Add to list
In a large bowl, combine the flours, ground almonds, baking powder and salt. Set aside. In a large measuring cup, stir the egg yolks, melted butter and maple syrup into the milk and blend with a fork.
Add to the flour and stir until just moistened. In a medium bowl, beat the egg whites until they are stiff and gently fold them into the batter.
Lightly coat a non-stick skillet with cooking spray and set over moderate heat. When the skillet is hot, pour out the pancakes four at a time, using 1/4 cup batter for each. Sprinkle tops of pancakes with slivered almonds and cook 2 1/2 to 3 minutes on one side or until bubbles form. Turn, then cook about 1 minute longer until deep brown.
Source: Sound Consumer May 2004
Learn more about our recipes. View guidelines »