Almond Buckwheat Pancakes
Any member of the family will love these hearty buckwheat pancakes, made with crunchy slivered almonds.
- 3/4 cup flour, sifted Add to list
- 1/2 cup buckwheat flour, unsifted Add to list
- 1/4 cup ground almonds or almond flour Add to list
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder Add to list
- 1/4 teaspoon salt Add to list
- 2 large eggs, separated Add to list
- 2 tablespoons melted butter Add to list
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup Add to list
- 1 cup skim milk Add to list
- High-heat cooking spray Add to list
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds Add to list
In a large bowl, combine flours, ground almonds, baking powder and salt. Set aside. In a large measuring cup, stir egg yolks, melted butter and maple syrup into milk and blend with a fork. Add to the flour mixture and stir until just moistened.
In a medium bowl, beat egg whites until they are stiff. Gently fold them into the batter.
Lightly coat a non-stick skillet with cooking spray and set over moderate heat. When the skillet is hot, pour out the pancakes, using 1/4 cup batter for each. Sprinkle tops of pancakes with slivered almonds and cook 2 1/2 to 3 minutes on one side or until bubbles form. Turn, then cook about 1 minute longer until deep brown.
Toasting almonds on a baking sheet at 350° F for about 15 minutes brings out their nutty flavor and makes these breakfast cakes even tastier.