Almond Aniseed Biscotti
Yield: 25 to 30 biscotti
Prep time: 2 hours, including one hour "resting" time
- Cooking spray, for baking sheet Add to list
- 1/2 cup butter Add to list
- 1 1/3 cups plus 1 tablespoon sugar, divided Add to list
- 1 tablespoon aniseed Add to list
- 1/2 cup whole almonds Add to list
- 2 eggs Add to list
- 1 tablespoon vanilla Add to list
- 1 1/2 teaspoons almond extract Add to list
- 2 3/4 cups flour Add to list
- 2 tablespoons cornmeal Add to list
- 2 teaspoons baking powder Add to list
- 1/8 teaspoon salt Add to list
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten Add to list
Preheat oven to 350° F. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray.
Using an electric mixer, beat together butter, 1 1/3 cups sugar, aniseed and almonds. Add eggs, vanilla and almond extract and mix to combine. In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder, cornmeal and salt. Add to egg mixture. Stir until no streaks of flour remain.
Transfer dough to a lightly floured surface and divide in half. Shaped into two logs. Place on prepared baking sheets. Brush egg whites on logs evenly and sprinkle with remaining tablespoon sugar. Bake for 30 minutes, until golden brown. Cool at room temperature. Allow to rest for approximately 1 hour.
Preheat oven to 325° F. Cut the logs in 1/2-inch slices with a serrated knife. Lay the slices out on a baking sheet and bake a second time until lightly golden and crisp, about 20 minutes. Cool completely.
Recipe by, PCC Cooks instructor
Source: Sound Consumer October 2002