Almond Aniseed Biscotti
Yield: 25 to 30 biscotti
Prep time: 2 hours, including one hour "resting" time
- 1/2 cup butter Add to list
- 1 1/3 cups plus 1 tablespoon sugar Add to list
- 1 tablespoon aniseed Add to list
- 1/2 cup whole almonds Add to list
- 2 eggs Add to list
- 1 tablespoon vanilla Add to list
- 1 1/2 teaspoons almond extract Add to list
- 2 3/4 cups flour Add to list
- 2 tablespoons cornmeal Add to list
- 2 teaspoons baking powder Add to list
- 1/8 teaspoon salt Add to list
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten Add to list
Preheat oven to 350° F. Mix together butter, 1 1/3 cups sugar, aniseed and almonds. Add the eggs, vanilla and almond extract and stir to combine. In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder, cornmeal and salt. Add to the egg mixture. Stir until combined.
Transfer to a lightly floured surface and gather together. Divide the dough in half, into two logs. Place on a cookie sheet that has been sprayed with cooking oil. Brush egg whites on logs evenly and sprinkle with remaining tablespoon of sugar. Bake for 30 minutes, until golden brown. Cool at room temperature. Allow to rest for approximately 1 hour.
Preheat oven to 325° F. Cut the logs in 1/2-inch slices with a serrated knife. Lay the slices out on a cookie sheet and bake a second time until lightly golden and crisp, about 20 minutes. Cool completely.
Recipe by, PCC Cooks instructor
Source: Sound Consumer October 2002